Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Ryanair refunds

Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Hi all,

Has anyone had any luck getting a refund for a flight cancelled by Ryanair due to Covid 19 ?
Failing that, has anyone found a loophole whereby we can actually contact the illusive Ryanair "customer services" (a contradiction in terms at best) ?  Their website takes joy in taking one around in never ending circles.

Ryanair cancelled our flight last May and we immediately logged our refund request which, as of today, is still shown as active but it's impossible to contact them to find out what (if anything) is happening .... So much for the "legally binding 28 days refund period" !!!

We have now tried our credit card company but they have basically washed their hands of it quoting "section 75 refunds have now been stopped" and suggesting we go back to Ryanair "Live Chat" (a non-starter so far as Ryanair is concerned and basically a cop-out on the part of the card company).  It's not the money, it's the principle (having said that, £260 is money after all) and Ryanair shouldn't get away with it.

I would add that the credit card company said that they are "inundated with refund requests for Ryanair cancellations" !

Phil

Topic starter Posted : 19/02/2021 1:38 pm
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

We got our refund through our credit card company for flights last May with Ryanair. It took until July, I claimed under section 75 but they did it as a chargeback from Ryanair's bank

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2021 7:40 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

We got our refund through our credit card company for flights last May with Ryanair. It took until July, I claimed under section 75 but they did it as a chargeback from Ryanair's bank

Hi dalg,

That's encouraging to hear but our credit card company (Tesco) sound like they are now following Ryanair and trying to sidestep the issue ..... Ryanair are impossible to contact and Tesco have stated "we have stopped claims under section 75 in respect of Ryanair .... we suggest you try their 'live chat'. " !!!!

So far as I am aware, neither are allowed to sidestep and whoever crumbles first has a legal obligation to refund us.
Purely as a matter of principle, I will not be letting this matter rest.

However, what's the betting Ryanair will declare themselves bankrupt before re-inventing themselves a week later under a new name ..... "Conair" sounds like it might be appropriate !!!

I feel the financial ombudsman might need to get in on the act !

Phil

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 21/02/2021 8:19 pm
aaron
(@aaron)
Estimable Member

I took the voucher that was valid for a year with the promise of a refund afterwards, so should get that back some time this summer I guess?

I'd be more annoyed at Tesco trying to wash their hands of having to take any responsibility!   

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2021 8:20 am
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

I just had to fill a form in online attach all relevant documents to show I had told Ryanair that I wanted a refund and not a voucher then my credit card company did the rest. They even apologised it had taken them longer than normal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/02/2021 9:40 am
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

I took the voucher that was valid for a year with the promise of a refund afterwards, so should get that back some time this summer I guess?

I'd be more annoyed at Tesco trying to wash their hands of having to take any responsibility! 

Regrettably, I wouldn't have much faith in a "promise" from Ryanair.

"Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary: ‘Refund refusal claims are false’
Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary has hit back at claims the airline has not refunded all passengers for flights cancelled because of the pandemic.
Mr O’Leary told BBC Radio 5 Live customers have all been reimbursed for flights between March and July.
Speaking to 5 Live’s Rachel Burden, he said texts and emails from listeners claiming they have not been refunded were "false".
"We have no backlog in our refund department - that's a fact," he said.
This clip is originally from 5 Live Breakfast on Monday 2 November 2020".

Tesco are due another phone call this week .... now I am unsure which company I am more annoyed with.

Phil

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/02/2021 11:17 am
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

I just had to fill a form in online attach all relevant documents to show I had told Ryanair that I wanted a refund and not a voucher then my credit card company did the rest. They even apologised it had taken them longer than normal.

We followed exactly the same procedure and shall not be letting the matter rest.

There is still Watchdog, Which, the Ombudsman, the CAA or perhaps even a small claims court (sending a bailiff to Ryanair would be fun  :))

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/02/2021 11:23 am
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Spoke to a different operative at Tesco today who was (at best) a little perplexed by a previous colleague's response/advice.

It seems that we can now start again with our claim (watch this space).

I think that in future I will omit the "O" from the Ryanair CEO's name .... in my mind, he is now Mr.Leary !!!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 22/02/2021 3:51 pm
Share: