(@nelson)
Member Admin

Which do you prefer and why ?

Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2014 12:26 pm
Alan
 Alan
(@alan)
Member Admin

There are 2 Facebook groups for Vera Playa (follow the link above) one for Vera Playa Friends and one for Vera Playa Friends 2014 attempt at breaking the Guinness Book Record for a mass skinny dip.

It seems to me that there are more discussion based posts being placed there than on this forum. Also the forthcoming Skinny Dip attempt is being organised more from Facebook than it is from here.  So this has made me consider some questions, some of which I will pose in the "VPF Forum" thread.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Should all discussions now be placed on Facebook and then the forum be closed to discussion and become just a source of information and reference?
Do people now prefer to use Facebook if so why, what is it that attracts people to facebook?
What is so different between a FB group and forum?
What can be done to continue the use of our forum as a discussion centre for Vera Playa?
How long will it be before Twitter or other services will be used instead of the forum?

I'm sure I have other questions, so watch this space.

Alan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2014 2:05 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

I am totally with Alan on this one insomuch as I am also concerned and confused by the aparent swing away from the forum in favour of FaceBook.

Is FB somehow better suited to everyones tastes or needs as there are neumerous posts and discussions on FB which do not "make it" onto the forum ?

Whilst Sue does have a FaceBook profile, I personally will not entertain it so, please, feel free to enlighten me as to the benefits of FB over the forum.

Phil (expressing a personal opinion)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2014 7:23 pm
Seaside Nick (was Seaside Naturist)
(@seaside-naturist)
Estimable Member

Ultimately it's quality (forum) vs Quantity (FB).
Twitter is out of bounds to me due to character count limit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2014 8:13 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Hi Seaside,
Sorry, not quite with you on the quality -v- quantity thing.

Any chance that you can elaborate ?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2014 9:54 pm
MikeR
(@miker)
Trusted Member

Please keep the forum going. I am on Facebook, but have not "Friended" VP. I use it only to see what my children (all over 25 now) and a few real friends are doing.
I suggest the Upcoming events folder should be purged of old events once the date has passed, (at the webmaster/moderators convenience).
I do not expect to use the "Like" feature and I find the top posting confusing as this is the only forum / usenet site that I use that does this.

I have found notifications like the new shuttle service on here very useful and the link to Baraza buses timetable is very good. It is more work for the webmaster, but maybe Baraza, Alsa and the shuttle company could be persuaded to make a donation as a "payment for the links being on the website.

Thanks to all the workers on this site for their very useful hard work

MikeR

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2014 9:03 am
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Hi Mike,
Yep, purging old events is an on going task for whichever of the two of us gets there first and always has been. Unless, of course, there is no "expiry date" ... as in "Every Saturday night, Joe Bloggs is singing". I guess it would be a reasonable assumption that he has not done EVERY Saturday since 2011 but, he might have, so the post remains, all be it probably well past it's sell by date ?

The "Like" feature was added because it was felt that some people might like a "like" feature and if people didn't like the "like" then they didn't have to use it  🙂

Sorry, not quite sure what you mean by "top posting" ?

Local and airport transfer bus timetables are retained on the provisional Phase 2 website which is still under construction as we speak.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/03/2014 9:23 am
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

I shall go out on a limb here as I have not discussed this post with Alan.

I think it is probably fair to say that few (if any) members probably appreciate just how much work and time Alan has to devote, in order to keep the Vera Playa Friends  website and forum up and running. Alan is a highly qualified IT professional who currently holds down two full time jobs - (1) his occupation in IT and (2) the VPF forum and website.
In the normal course of events, I'm sure that Alan would probably describe the forum and website as being part-time but, at times like the recent makeover (not to mention the many weeks preceding it), I can assure you all that it has been a second full time occupation for him.
One must also point out that, on behalf of Vera Playa Friends, there is not only the website and forum but also a dedicated "Test website and forum" where all the bugs and glitches are hopefully ironed out behind the scenes before going "live".

I'm sure that you will all agree that it must be totally disheartening to see all this time and effort dwindle away with an apparent migration away from the forum and towards Face Book. Hence the unprecedented topics posted within "The future of Vera Playa Friends".

I for one am saddened that there has become a need for such discussions.

Irrespective of the future of the forum, I personally still see a definite need for a Vera Playa Friends website to provide wide ranging and useful information for residents and visitors alike. Unfortunately, Alan does not have the time to undertake the website makeover so, whilst I am a total amateur in this field, I am attempting to undertake this task on his behalf.
Needless-to-say, there will no doubt be yet another full time job for Alan when it comes to ironing out the creases and technical issues before it can be published on-line.

That still leaves the predicament of the forum !

Reading between the lines, I would say "use it or lose it" !!!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/03/2014 10:39 am
MikeR
(@miker)
Trusted Member

Hi Phil,
By "top posting" I mean the latest message is at the top and as you go down the page the messages get older.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2014 11:07 am
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Hi Phil,
By "top posting" I mean the latest message is at the top and as you go down the page the messages get older.

Ah, no problem Mike. The choice is yours. You chose which way is old and new  🙂

Go to Profile / modify profile / Look and layout, then untick "new posts at the top" - That should sort it out for you.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/03/2014 12:21 pm
Alan
 Alan
(@alan)
Member Admin

Hello Mike,

That's a setting in your own profile not the forum norm.

Click the Profile Button at the top
Go to "Modify Profile"
Go to "Look and Layout"

Select your options, in particular un-check "Show most recent posts at the top."
You must have set that at some time as the forum default is off

Personally I prefer it at the top, makes more sense to me, you open a thread and the latest post is in front of you
not way down the bottom of a very long thread

Alan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2014 12:24 pm
Mo
 Mo
(@_mo_)

I use both FB and VPF for different reasons.  I use FB to keep up to date with friends and family.  I log on to VPF to find out what is going on in the area, by clicking on "Show unread posts since last visit".  This keeps down the number of posts I may need/want to read. 

The site is also useful for information that has been posted in the past,  I can often find the information I need by using the search function.

Let's not forget that not everyone likes or is signed up for FB

I personally would hate to see the VPF site close, and think (and thank) the administrators for doing such a grand job. 

Mo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2014 12:47 pm
MikeR
(@miker)
Trusted Member

Thank you Alan & Phil. I was not aware the choice was mine - the switch occurred without my intervention when you updated the forum.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2014 2:31 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Alan's fault then  🙂  😀  ;D

(sorry Alan, just kidding)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/03/2014 2:37 pm
stevenat
(@stevenat)
Trusted Member

I probably check on both daily without preference and am only an occasional poster, but when talking to friends about vera playa I always point them to this website to get up to date information on VP and have not thought about saying look at facebook. !!:) keep up the great work.

If we were meant to be nude we would have been born that way ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2014 5:34 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: