Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Very quiet on here.....

Page 1 / 2
uninhibited
(@uninhibited)
Estimable Member

Very quiet on here lately. No posts from anyone for 11 days. Disappointed as I thought there would be regular posts from members. 🙁 🙁

Kevin

Topic starter Posted : 24/04/2016 1:56 am
Markrobert
(@markrobert)

Morning Kevin
When I first joined a few weeks back I was surprised how quiet it was hear. I assumed there would be a fair bit of banter and plans for the summer being made....maybe the established groups of friends talk elsewhere ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2016 7:03 am
Bob B
(@bob-b)
Estimable Member

Hi,

Most members seem to use the Vera Playa Friends FB page now.

Hope this helps.

Bob B

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2016 1:51 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

The FB page is equally as quiet (and mostly adverts).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2016 4:18 pm
uninhibited
(@uninhibited)
Estimable Member

Hi Mark

Like yourself I thought the site would be a good means of sharing ideas, hearing thoughts from the many people who frequent the forum and seeing what plans others had for the upcoming summer months but it has been a bit lukewarm with regard to reading anything of any interest since I joined.

Maybe take a break for a few weeks and then come back and see if any new posts coming to the fore.

Best wishes

Kevin and Lisa 🙁

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/04/2016 9:28 pm
Gregs
(@gregs)
Trusted Member

Yes, you are right that it is quiet, however....

The great thing about this site is the history of the posts. There is quite an archive of recommendations and experiences here. Please do not be put off by lack of activity...just keep logged in.

Gregs

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/04/2016 9:29 pm
uninhibited
(@uninhibited)
Estimable Member

Hi Phil

Any idea why both the forum and FB page would be quiet? Is it usual for this time of the year?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/04/2016 9:33 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Hi Uninhibited (and all),

I was also thinking that it was a little quiet recently but, looking at the statistics (and bearing in mind it's not the end of the month yet), "New topics" are already up on last year (although "new posts" are down).  "New members" are also up, as is "Most on-line" and also "Page views".

One can only speculate as to the reasons behind annual fluctuations but I think one has to bear (bare) in mind that, on the whole, most people probably join Vera Playa Friends in the first instance in order to find information prior to a visit.  If this is the case, then obviously sooner or later one reaches the point where there is sufficient information on the forum (especially if one uses the “Search” facility) so a new posting might not be deemed necessary ?

To highlight the point, at any random time in the day, there are often just 1 or 2 “members” on-line but 20 or more “users” (members not logged-in or non-members just browsing the posts) and, as at today’s date there have been over 209,000 “page views” so far this month – so the forum is proving to be both popular and useful  🙂 

There is the facility under “General Discussion (Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board)” to chat about topics which may not necessarily be Vera Playa or even naturism related and I personally would be wholly in favour of this being used more often – providing, of course, that it is kept polite, well-mannered and not used for ulterior motives or “sport” .... As with any other forum, we have had our fair share of Internet trolls over the years and whilst we are reluctant to wave a big stick of any sort, we do have boundaries and limitations for the good of the forum and it’s members plus (of course) Vera Playa, it’s communities and it’s reputation. 

So, feel free to start a thread and see where it goes  🙂

Phil 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2016 9:52 am
Swisstony
(@swisstony)
Estimable Member

🙁  YES , very true ,
I was often hère and now come only once or twice a month, one of the reasons is the control over what people say and think.In life there are many people who have different points of view on subjects , but hère once people start to warm up and say what they think they are warned , then the  discussions is blocked . Not much free speech . I am not saying all is correct and there should be  no control but hère there is often the powers to be who control what is said and how .
Slowly this forum has turned from an open free speech forum to a week luke warm  Forum on with questions about tapas , and bike rentais , which does interest many people outside the locals .
Subjects which could developpe and maybe more interesting to people other than the locals  are quickly stopped so as not to offend ,  subjects important and full of information (such as the attitude of others ) are quashed .

Just take a look at the list of subjects and you will see, not much of any interest. I have been involved in a couple of free minded and open debates , which ended up getting blocked ... So it was time to move on ......

Tony /Terry

Happy as I am,
Retired early and living well on the lake side .
Life has been good to me and mine .
Why ask for more  ...!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2016 7:59 am
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

The previous forum covering Vera Playa was reputed to be over-censoring and eventually closed.

The Vera Playa Friends forum opened with the intention of having a more liberal and “free” attitude towards discussion but I can now see why policing is so necessary on a forum and why the previous facility closed (probably through frustration).

Left to their own devices and hiding behind a keyboard, internet forum “discussions” rapidly degenerate into conversations that nobody would ever dream of having face to face - good manners, mutual respect, politeness and consideration are all thrown out of the window.

For those who give their time to try and "manage" forums, one can only respond in a way which one feels is right at the time. 

Swisstony on 1st August 2015 .... quote :- “there is to my mind a lack of effort being made by the ones with the power to halt the tread and correct it”

I give up Tony, by your own words it looks like we are damned if we do and damned if we don’t. 
In August 2015 you wanted threads blocked and now you don't - which is it to be ?

Phil B-C (unofficial response).

.... and yes, if this thread becomes ill mannered, abusive, impolite or degenerates into bullying or insults then I wouldn't be the least surprised if someone might deem it appropriate to lock it also !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2016 9:12 am
Swisstony
(@swisstony)
Estimable Member

You are right Phil and yes I did say that on one subject which was getting out of hand, due mainly to peoples lack of responablity and as you so clearly said people hide and find it easy to insult. 
On the other hand a forum must be open and have topics that interest others without someone laying down the law.
I know one lady had problems due to insults , and some people like to stir  up feelings by attacking minor groups and the intolérance at one point was running high.
This said ,  the topics recently have been very low key and to outsiders who do not live in Vera thèse are not of gréât interest. I can hear you Phil "what to do" a good question . Maybe let subjects be more open and if someone is too near the mark give a person warning by private mail .
You have to agree Phil the questions have been pretty soft recently. Maybe a wider scope with things outside the vera /British communinty may draw in comments ...
Example :- the attitude towards  naturisme in Spain we hear so much , the question of houses being taken as they are too close to the sea . Others expériences in other naturiste resorts around Europe .
I believe that  you do a gréât job Phil , not an easy task but i can understand a loss of interest....

Happy as I am,
Why ask for more  ...!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2016 10:46 am
Alan
 Alan
(@alan)
Member Admin

Well I've been very quiet myself lately and probably for the same reasons as many others - "What can I say or add that is original?"
The forum and website have been running for over 5 years and during that time has become a quite extensive source of information. That information is quite varied (although some is getting dated) so it is difficult to think of new subjects/topics.
I have been guilty myself of discouraging new posts or enquiries when it has already been covered, trying to avoid duplication but at the same time stifling new discussion.

As Phil has already said, it is difficult to strike a good balance. When do you stop a discussion? How far do you let a bad discussion continue? How much personal abuse do you allow? How much abuse of the forum itself do you allow? I could go on.
I try not to step in unless I feel that I really have to. I hope it is very rare but I admit there have been times with hindsight when maybe I have been over zealous. However nothing is ever deleted during those times only hidden from view. So we can review and reinstate if it is later decided that should be necessary.

Back to why the forum has been quiet. Contrary to what Phil has said about the Vera Play Friends Facebook page being quiet I have been noticing more and more that there are threads on there that historically would have appeared on the forum. Also many of the posters on there used to post here but don't always post here anymore.
That may be the way of things, facebook is possibly easier to use on phones, it is more transient and immediate but it is not a good reference source and can be more difficult to find specific subjects. I personally don't like and don't use it much but I do keep an eye on it.
I should just point out that the VPF Facebook page is not run by the same admin team as the VPF forum, only one administrator from the forum is an administrator on the FB page.

I am also as guilty as others of not contributing to the forum lately but letting it just tick along.

So I pose this question: Is it time to call it a day, close the forum and let social media take over. Maybe not just Facebook? I for one would gain quiet a bit of time if that were to happen.

Alan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2016 11:53 am
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Unfortunately Tony, people do hide behind keyboards (and also change their forum names in an effort to re-invent themselves (but that’s another story)). 
There is also the “sport” of posting a question or comment that is intentionally designed to promote aggressive (or at the very least “strong”) responses - just so they can sit back, remain quiet and watch the fireworks.

I totally agree with you Tony, topics recently have been rather mundane.

As I have said before, I would welcome some polite and respectful open discussions.
However, one does have to be very careful as to the subject (if you get my drift ?). If the forum becomes obsessed with a particular “subject”, the area could gain a reputation for being famous for it even if it’s (at the moment) a small sub-culture unseen by the vast majority. Myths grow and mud sticks !

Unfortunately, experience has shown that whilst a warning by private mail might rein-in one member, the rest would continue posting.  You continue to warn by private mail each and every member in turn (as and when they go too far) but the postings are already there for all to see – a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.  So the only way is to nip it in the bud and issue a general warning on the thread to prevent it getting out of hand !

A wider scope of open threads is fine, go for it, but it could be equally frustrating if nobody else finds it of interest so doesn’t respond – the invitation under General Discussion, “Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board” has always been there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2016 11:53 am
Swisstony
(@swisstony)
Estimable Member

I agree with both of you , the reason i liked Vera friends was because it was with people with like tasses as myself. On FB it is more open and if we go on the page it will spring up on my page . I dont want everyone to know my préférences , in some cases it could create problems , workwise  or others

What to do maybe time has come , who knows and at présent if it was there or not it would not change much . Small groups with spécial attitudes are always floating around looking for a way to cause trouble , and send mails to stir  it all  up ..... Forums have always been a draw for unhealthy remarks and S*** stirrers ...

I have had a huge amount of pleasure on this forum but to be honest it has grown old ...
Sorry guys you've done a gréât job but the interest has gone

Happy as I am,
Why ask for more  ...!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2016 12:07 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

I think it also fair to say that most people in this day and age are basically either lazy or “too busy” to make the effort and perhaps compose something to start a thread, or to reply to an existing posting is perhaps “too much trouble”. 
Perhaps some are reluctant to post for fear of being bullied or shot down by other more vocal members ?

This would explain the one-liners and especially the ever popular “like” button with social media, specifically FaceBook etc. (we added one too).

To resurrect a pet gripe of mine and to emphasise the point …
The revised Vera Playa website – Over two years ago a new website was built and all that was missing were the photographs and a little text so posts were added to several sections of this forum asking for help. 

To date (that's over two years remember) .... I/we have had NOTHING ! 

Lazy, too busy, too much trouble, can’t be bothered, let someone else do it ? … You tell me !

If you want discussion and debate Tony, don't criticise others and throw your toys out of the pram - start a thread yourself and if others think it's interesting they might contribute !

Phil B-C (unofficial response). 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2016 12:29 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: