Notifications
Clear all

Very quiet on here.....

Page 2 / 2
Gregs
(@gregs)
Trusted Member

What a sad and dreary thread this is.

Firstly, the people who run this site put in a lot of work and we should thank them for that.

Secondly, as I said in a previous post, this is a great archive of information. If someone asks about bike rental which is a topic covered a zillion times before, so what, they are new and not familiar with the resource that they have available to them. Don't knock them for it.

Thirdly, if it is quiet, then perhaps there is little to say. As has been pointed out, there may be little activity but the site is being visited and who knows what people are taking away.

Fourthly, as someone that lives in the UK, this is a good window on VP and a great forum to comment on what is happening but at times lack of activity can be reassuring.

Fifthly, the scene in VP is constantly changing. Whilst I knew that the Cajamar Bank was closing at Bouganvillas, it all happened very quickly and it was postings here that alerted me to get a new IBAN. This site is invaluable to keep up to date

Sixthly, I hate Facebook

Seventhly, lack of usage does not indicate a lack of interest.

I do wish that some of the full time residents would post more about their lives and where they visit; markets, restaurants, historical stuff, walks etc. Especially in the winter months as we find difficult to find new places, open restaurants and things to do.

Gregs (age 64; with a lot of interest but not a lot of usage)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2016 9:15 pm
bikeroyc
(@bikeroyc)

We moved to Vera Playa last year. Having visited Vera Playa many times previously.
I used this Forum extensively, while researching the area and what it was like to live here.
I am surprised it is so quiet on the forum given the current situation regarding the upcoming referendum, but there are other  forums available which discuss this at length and where the dialogue can get out of hand.
This forum is a place, as has been said, where new members can get information and advice in a non judgemental manner.
It doesn't matter if the question has been asked before as the answer may have changed in the between time.
I also don't like Facebook and prefer the way information is shared on the forum.
It may be quiet, but the Forum is relevant and to the point, without the diatribe of other expat forums.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2016 10:49 pm
Simon T
(@simon-t)

I have only 4 posts over 2 years...but this forum has been invaluble and I have hived a great deal of info from it. As has been mentioned I agree with the point that it is silly going around and around on the same issues, starting new threads, when all the information is already here. I might come back and ask new questions before our trip in September but so far it's all been answered. For the community aspect/getting to know folks, I will use the FB group page as this is not the tool to do that. I will add my voice to those very impressed and grateful for this info source and I hope it continues to develop and be used  8)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2016 9:25 am
uninhibited
(@uninhibited)
Estimable Member

?:)Wow!!!

Logged in this am and seems like the forum has woken up! Having started this thread I feel I should add something more now.

Firstly, I would ask emphatically that those responsible for the website and its administration do not get disenchanted for what ever reason but continue to do the fine job you are doing. There must be countless people out there looking through the threads searching out information they require which may well be impossible to find elsewhere. Closing the site will render this source of information unavailable, which would be a great loss I feel.

I honestly expected to see more life on the forum after I joined, but that in no way indicates I feel I have wasted my time. On the contrary, I believe once a thread is begun which others can associate with then it will trigger a reaction, as this has apparently done! Also it is early days in the VP season and the whole summer is ahead of us and I guess many folk would check the forum closer to when they would be coming down on holiday.

As regards 'censoring' what threads are opened about, having read through several topics that resulted in them being locked I made sure I havent strayed into areas that appear to trigger reactions that in some instances I find more than a little 'fuddy duddy' so to speak. Being honest, I can't really understand why we should have to refrain from having our say on certain subjects, as most of us surely have nothing to hide, do we?

For example, my wife and myself enjoy being naked on the beach and have absolutely no hang ups with how we conduct ourselves. We enjoy the fact that families can be on the beach at VP without having to be confronted with open displays of sexual behaviour. But as the sun sets we enjoy dressing up to go out in Hotel Street and my wife enjoys wearing revealing clothing. After all, where is the problem in wearing see through tops and short dresses at night when she has been laying naked all day on the beach? But, there are some who have pointed out on this forum that VP is no place for this sort of behaviour, ie wearing ''sexual'' clothing at night, and some have actually stated that ''we do not want this sort of person here in VP''. Others have said that one thing always leads to another etc etc. There have also been posts complaining about gay people at VP, and I am not referring to the infamous ''bears''. I am 100% straight, but many of my and my wife's best friends are gay and are super people. In todays world anyone having a problem with gay people at VP really does need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Reading through these sort of posts can be prohibitive as far as some people are concerned regarding posting. I myself had to make sure I kept away from such subjects. But that is not right. And also not fair. My wife and myself are not swingers. We do not attend orgies, swingers parties etc etc. But after a long day relaxing at the beach we like to dress up and enjoy ourselves at night. And if that means wearing very little clothing, then so be it.

Anyhow, my message to Alan and Phil is continue running the site as you do, perhaps encouraging a little more chat on topics which are close to many people's thoughts but which may have been stifled in the past, but also using the same common sense you have applied before.

Kevin

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/04/2016 11:46 am
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Some good points raised there Kevin (Alan & I are in discussions via Skype as we speak). - watch this space.

Unfortunately, Alan is currently (supposed to be) working so only has very limited time he can get away with chatting.
This is Alan's website and forum and I am only "helping out" so please bear with us  🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2016 12:10 pm
Alan
 Alan
(@alan)
Member Admin

Oops, this thread was accidentally moved to an area that wasn't visible by logged in members. As soon as I spotted the error I restored it be visible by logged members.
Sorry this thread my have appeared to disappear for a short while.

Alan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2016 4:54 pm
AleLid
(@alelid)
Eminent Member

We found this forum looking for informations on VP for our first vacation there. Adding to this, we are Italians andit seems that very few of us  are here. So, if you are interested to a newbie opinion,  we find the forum very useful for general information (the "bike" topic and so on), even if last replies in many threads are very old and probably outdated. Maybe it could be useful to put toghether similar threads in sub-sections, but with "search" button is possible to find all.
About the lack of general discussion and "censorship", it seems a common issue for naturist forums. Most "official" (owned by associations, clubs and so on) and "serious" forums are "very quiet". More "lively" seems to be the one attended by people that have more fantasies than naturist experience. Maybe it's because who live naturism as normal life, don't need to recall every moment how "exciting" it is.
Sorry for funny English 😉
Alessandro

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2016 7:27 am
aaron
(@aaron)
Estimable Member

As someone who was new to VP last year this site was invaluable to me too, the map is great and there is so much information. Would be a shame to loose it, but being a forum admin can be a lot of work and hassle and I do see that side too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2016 9:47 am
AleLid
(@alelid)
Eminent Member

For example, my wife and myself enjoy being naked on the beach and have absolutely no hang ups with how we conduct ourselves. We enjoy the fact that families can be on the beach at VP without having to be confronted with open displays of sexual behaviour. But as the sun sets we enjoy dressing up to go out in Hotel Street and my wife enjoys wearing revealing clothing. After all, where is the problem in wearing see through tops and short dresses at night when she has been laying naked all day on the beach? But, there are some who have pointed out on this forum that VP is no place for this sort of behaviour, ie wearing ''sexual'' clothing at night, and some have actually stated that ''we do not want this sort of person here in VP''. Others have said that one thing always leads to another etc etc. There have also been posts complaining about gay people at VP, and I am not referring to the infamous ''bears''. I am 100% straight, but many of my and my wife's best friends are gay and are super people. In todays world anyone having a problem with gay people at VP really does need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Most of us are old enough to remember when the issue was if intimate depilation, tattoos and piercings were acceptable in family naturist locations. Now no one cares anymore about, so it's funny to find that the discussion is on what a naturist shoud wear. Or that someone needs to reaffirm that is not a swinger
A.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2016 8:25 am
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

I think it fair to say that attempting to run a forum and trying to keep everyone happy nowadays has become an impossible task and there is no doubt whatsoever that it’s getting worse - one only has to read the "comments" in on-line newspapers to see the attitude of some people who post on-line.

Whatever anyone says, there is always someone else who is going to adopt a contrary position – be that purely pedantic, a lack of something constructive to say or even “just for the fun of it”.  I fear this (my) posting will be subject to no different – hence why I have attempted to compose something and scrapped the idea many many times over the last few days !

On the subject of “public sexual activity” (a topic that seems to be ever popular in one guise or another on this forum) one has to appreciate that most areas on this forum are open to be read by “guests” (non-members or members not logged-in).  As such, the constant discussions on this topic are actually advertising such behaviour to anyone and everyone on the internet as possibly being common in Vera Playa and (what started out as concerns) could actually turn everything about-face into a self-fulfilling prophecy ! 
As of today’s date, the subject has been read over 22,000 times – I repeat, "read over twenty two thousand times" !

Unfortunately, VP does have swingers clubs and a woman wearing revealing clothing (nice as it might be) in Hotel Street where the clubs are also located might (understandably ?) cause some people to jump to conclusions and post accordingly.  I can understand the arguments of some that, even in a naturist resort (some would say “especially” in a naturist resort) some people might have issues – some members will agree, others will disagree.
The only certain outcome is the admin team will be left stuck in the middle of yet another playground fight !   

However, if I failed to pick-up on a derogatory post at the time and correct the member responsible then I can only apologise.  However, whatever is said or done at the time (or indeed not said or done) it will be wrong – damned if we do and damned if we don’t and all the time trying to remain impartial !

I do not recall missing a derogatory posting about gay people and therefore failing to take action – If this is the case, then I sincerely apologise but frankly, at this moment in time, for me to spend time researching every point I am pulled up on so that I can answer to it (only for that to be analysed and pulled to bits afterwards by someone else) would be a waste of my time and would achieve nothing so long afterwards.

As you rightly say, some subjects might give the impression of being off-limits and will indeed make members think twice before posting but, as I have said earlier (and on other posts) …. "some members post comments on the forum that they wouldn’t dream of saying face to face" – this also puts members off posting. Correct the second one and admin intervention wouldn't be necessary in the first place !

Indeed, even Alan and myself are often reluctant to post – and that’s because of some of the anticipated response of members, not through fear of the admin team (obviously) !  What’s the point in posting something if it’s odds-on favourite that someone is going to pull it to bits afterwards ? 

As I say, I fear this (my) posting will be no different and if the thread ends up being locked through pure frustration then so be it.  Some might think the potential downfall of this forum to be a loss, others might also consider it to be a loss, but also a feather in the cap for being responsible - but that’s part of today’s sport of “posting” on-line ! 

Phil B-C

(Unofficial response)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2016 3:19 pm
MartynS1
(@martyns1)
Trusted Member

Impossible to please everyone I guess. My view is....if you don't like it change the channel, or in the case of the forum, don't read ANYTHING that might cause you offence. If you can't get your head around that, why are you here? The front page says "Naturist". The whole forum (or most of it) is dedicated to the naturist (or nudist) way of life. Can't we all just get round the camp fire and sing happy songs?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2016 9:37 pm
frankandelaine
(@frankandelaine)
Trusted Member

Lets not get too negative folks.Like (almost)everyone here, I think its a fantastic forum,full of great info and tips.And like most users,perhaps I have been guilty of not actively participating, e.g. putting up an original post.
So I am going to put out a challenge to everyone who reads this, put up an original post.It can be a question, e.g. Has anyone visited a bar for the first time and might leave a review, or maybe recommend one of the may things to do that you have enjoyed.For example, the go-karting or bowling,or mini hollywood,or anything at all,even if it has been up before.
Go on guys, challenge is out !!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2016 3:01 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: