Forum

Notifications
Clear all

VPF Forum

Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Did we add what you wanted in the recent makeover or are we still missing something ?

Please discuss  🙂

Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2014 12:25 pm
Alan
 Alan
(@alan)
Member Admin

I've posted some of my thoughts in the "Forum -v- Facebook" but here are some more.

As I said in "Forum -v- Facebook" it seems to me that discussions are being held more on Facebook than on the forum.

The use of the forum is changing, it is being used for quite a lot for free advertising of events and that is getting close to being classified by me as abuse. Multiple posting of events, bumping of events (post placed just to refresh the thread and make it appear at the head of the Category) and now likes.

Discussions about the area are getting less. Other changes in the use of the forum are also occurring this has led me ask questions about the future of the forum:
Is there a future for this forum? or is the time coming to let Facebook take over?
Does this forum have to change? and if so what can be changed or improved
Should the forum be closed to discussions and become just a source of information and reference?

Alan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2014 3:49 pm
Alan
 Alan
(@alan)
Member Admin

A question I just posted on "VPF Website" about advertising has just reminded of another topic of discussion.
Should we allow paid advertising?
If so what form should it take?
Should we only allow paid advertising? i.e. should we stop the free advertising of things like events?

Alan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2014 4:39 pm
Gary Dutton
(@garyherts)
Estimable Member

For what it's worth I much prefer this site to the FB pages as they can so often get buried in the mire that social networking sites suffer from.
With regard to advertising, paid or otherwise, I am happy with both.
Thanks guys for all your hard work.  I'm sure that many regulars would miss VPF if you were to decide to close the forum.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2014 5:05 pm
Dotty
(@dotty)
Estimable Member

I to would miss this forum if it was to close. Another point is, is everybody who use this forum on facebook?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2014 5:56 pm
Steve Tromans
(@tanman2)
Eminent Member

I don't do Facebook any longer. I found it confusing, only picking up half conversations. Must be too much sun!
I would really miss this forum. I look most days. Nice to think of my mates in VP off to the blue Parrot etc for a night out. Please continue with the journal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2014 6:25 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

.......... is everybody who use this forum on facebook?

A good question Dotty ?

Perhaps another question would be "is everybody who uses the facebook page on the Vera Playa Friends forum (or even aware of it) ?"

We have also reached the crazy situation where I now log into FB (using Sue's password etc) to see if there is anything there that should be posted on the forum !!!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/03/2014 10:01 pm
Green
(@green)

As a new member of this forum can someone bring me up to date on the issue of paid advertising, for what it is worth I am an ex BT C&W employee and I am not on face book, I simply do not trust the true intentions of tech companies.

Looking at some of the subjects this one included they are fairly out of date but I do believe that social networks have their place but they are not a replacement for a forum where people have a vested interest.

The answer is Champagne, now what's the question.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2016 2:01 pm
Alan
 Alan
(@alan)
Member Admin

Not quite sure what you want to know about paid advertising.

At the moment this forum and the main website are run on a purely voluntary bases with the costs covered by Maureen and myself.

We don't take any paid advertising but that is constantly being reviewed and may change one day.

Alan

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2016 4:50 pm
roseandjim
(@roseandjim)
Eminent Member

Please keep the forum as we check it most days even though we only come to VP once a year. We don't trust, use or even exist on Facebook so would lose this connection with VP.

ps See you mid Oct

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2016 6:15 pm
Nic Galbraith
(@nic-galbraith)
Eminent Member

I certainly prefer the web site. I too do not like Facebook trying to exploit any information they can get from/about me.

The web site is quite useful. Please keep it!

Nic

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2016 8:31 am
frankandelaine
(@frankandelaine)
Trusted Member

I also prefer here to the facebook page, and would also like to thank the admins for all their work.
If there are any costs to running the site,never mind giving up your time,then paid advertising is probably the best way to go in my opinion.
On a seperate matter, the only problem I see here is the lack of active participation from members. I love to see a recommendation for a restaurant ( recently Bar La Reva is our next to try having not done so before ), or something new to do .
I would implore all members, if you have tried a new restaurant  that you loved , let us all know. If you visited somewhere new, like a nearby town, or played golf, or anything, let us know. Then everybody can enjoy our holidays in the wonderful resort even more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2016 1:07 pm
veraman
(@veraman)

when we're in v.p we always play at Desert Springs, a great test of golfing ability if you're on your game and great fun if you are not, good clubhouse scene and great bars, must visit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2016 9:52 pm
Share: