Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] The Website and Forum will be closing at the end of February 2021

Page 1 / 2
Alan
 Alan
(@alan)
Member Admin

It is with much sadness that I have decided it is time to close the Vera Playa Friends website and forum.
The platform that the website and forum runs on is now 2 version out of date and due to the many modifications and improvements that have been done over the years it is no longer possible to update the platform. This means that we are now behind on security updates and there are more to come that we will not be able to implement, this in turn means that the site and forum will become less secure and more susceptible to hacking.
Over the last year or so the forum has been used less and less to a point where so few posts are made that it has to be asked "is it worth all of the time an effort to keep it all going". I'm afraid the answer is probably not.
The website is woefully out of date with many links now not working and the information on the pages so old that much of is no longer correct or relevant.
Discussions have been held about the possibility of keeping it going as a historical record but due to the possible security risks I have decided this might not be wise.
The current hosting package expires at the end of February 2021 so the website and forum will close then.
Pop back to this space occasionally, who knows something might replace it in future.

Alan

Topic starter Posted : 06/02/2021 3:45 pm
aaron
(@aaron)
Estimable Member

As some who deleted facebook years ago and has no plans to ever return this is a real shame as its the only source of info and updates on VP, but at the same time I cant blame you at all. It seems unlikely post volumes will recover in the sort term either with everything going on in the world right now. 

Hopefully the next thing to replace facebook comes along soon, and we can all meet on a VP group on that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2021 8:45 am
MikeR
(@miker)
Trusted Member

I too gave up on Facebook along time ago and and I've decided to have nothing to do with other "Social Media". I still regularly check here for news of VP. I have not made many contributions as I have not had much useful information to impart.

Thank you Alan and the rest of the team for providing this excellent resource for so long. It will be missed. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2021 10:04 am
mikeandeileen
(@mikeandeileen)

Thanks Alan, the forum was very helpful to us when we needed it but we contributed little ourselves so totally understand. We too are ardent anti social media until it is better regulated (and I am unsure how that could happen), thanks for the help so far and we trust that the "ressie's" in VP are safe and well, see you all in September ...............  fingers crossed.  !!:)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2021 10:17 am
yorkshireman
(@yorkshireman)
Trusted Member

What a sad day it will be, though I fully understand the reasons behind your decision. Thanks for all the contributions from everyone.

I do hope that the information on this site will be retained, in the expectation of it being reincarnated at some future point. The website has a mine of useful information.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2021 2:44 pm
John Devon
(@john-devon)
Trusted Member

Well 1st March will be a sad day; although with the limited traffic, I'm really not surprised.  🙁 :'(
It was the first contact I had with VP, and the maps were very useful to a newbie.
That prompts me to ask if the maps will be available elsewhere?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2021 3:44 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

As you all have said, it's a sad day for Vera Playa Friends  ..... and in my opinion an even sadder day for Vera Playa as a whole.

Unfortunately, websites and forums have now given way to the modern likes of Faceache and Twatter ..... perhaps confirmed by there being more comments regarding the closure on Faceache rather than on the forum itself ! (No disrespect to anyone on or connected with the VP Faceache page ..... I'm just not into the antisocial media scene).

In answer to your question John, the current version of the map is freely available for anyone to copy and use but obviously it will (over time) become outdated. If at some future date, another website undertakes the role of Vera Playa Friends then I could (given sufficient updates) continue to update it as Sue and I are based in the U.K.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2021 8:21 pm
Roy
 Roy
(@roy)
Estimable Member

For an alternative try www.costadealmeriaforum.com
It has a Vera Playa forum

Roy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/02/2021 8:52 am
John and Maureen Berry
(@john-and-maureen-berry)
Member Admin

Ooh, Alan, it seems a while since we first had the chats about a new forum and website for Vera Playa.  And so much has happened since then.  I will be very sad to see VeraPlayaFriends.com go, but I’ve posted little and updated the website pages not at all in recent years.  It’s not due to lack of intent, but more, life got in the way, and I don’t feel I’ve anything much fresh and interesting to say - and yes, sometimes I get fed up of sticking my head above the parapet and receiving pot shots!  I remember, in the first few months, sticking Veraplayafriends.com stickers on all the Basuras (rubbish bins) around Vera Playa, to promote the website and forum.  We had such brilliant community initiatives, the Sunday morning litter pick throughout the winter being a highlight - and the boules competitions, and the Christmas shows that we rehearsed for months!

But we’re all older, more tired, maybe not quite so fit and well - and well, some of the newer younger Brit arrivals at VP have maybe had a slightly different agenda!  And we’re old and fuddy -duddy!

Time to move on Alan, for you and Margaret and for us!  Thank you for all you have done for many years (it’s certainly more than 10, last time I renewed the domain name I did it for 10 years and remember commenting, “We might all be dead by then!”.

Happy owners and winter residents at Vera Playa, our piece of Naturist Paradise.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/02/2021 9:25 pm
RobnDee
(@robertjary)
Trusted Member

Sorry to hear the sad news, but many thanks for your work over many years. Fully understand your reasons for closing the site. Have to agree with yourshireman - there's a mine of useful information Unfortunately, not on Facebook, although many are.

Phil B-C, how will we be able to send you updates for the map?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2021 2:14 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Phil B-C, how will we be able to send you updates for the map?

Sadly the map will disappear with the website, unless another website takes it up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2021 6:51 pm
RobnDee
(@robertjary)
Trusted Member

Hi Phil,

We'd be happy to have your map on our web site (down at the moment) and I'm sure that other owners would also be happy to host it. I'll aske a few and let you know.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2021 10:45 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Hi Phil,

We'd be happy to have your map on our web site (down at the moment) and I'm sure that other owners would also be happy to host it. I'll aske a few and let you know.

I'll PM you

Phil

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2021 11:55 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Just a thought (I had never thought of it before) ..... If anyone has a bar, restaurant or apartment(s) in Vera Playa and want to use the map on your own website, you are more than welcome.

I can easily alter the "title" to whatever website you manage and highlight the location of your choice.

Providing at least someone gives me updates, it just seems a shame to let it go to waste !!!

Phil

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2021 1:07 am
lanz_paul
(@lanz_paul)

It is a great shame the site is closing, we have found it very useful.  Thank you for all your efforts in the past

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2021 11:27 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: