The Website and For...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] The Website and Forum will be closing at the end of February 2021

Page 2 / 2
morningsun
(@morningsun)
Eminent Member

Oh I will miss Vera Playa Frends!! It has been so helpful for my past holidays. Really, it's a pity. I hope that summer 2021 will be good for naturists and businesses there at Vera.
But ... ... I think maybe you should have waited until September to close it.
Anyway thank you for the brilliant job and see you in the future!
My best wishes to all of you.
Viva Vera Playa, whatever this year will be.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2021 11:05 am
John Devon
(@john-devon)
Trusted Member

Has there been any success with a host for the maps?
If not, I understand that I am entitled to a small web page in my package from my ISP.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2021 12:55 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Has there been any success with a host for the maps?
If not, I understand that I am entitled to a small web page in my package from my ISP.

Hi John, that's a kind thought.
Irrespective of what happens with the VP forum and website, the map will still be on my computer so it's not "lost for ever", more like "out of circulation" so it's not a question of finding storage for it, more like finding a home for it.  I am also entitled to a webpage from my ISP but, were it placed there, regrettably it would never be found by Jo public.
As you can no doubt appreciate, whilst it won't have died, it will be in a serious coma !

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2021 10:55 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

I'm thinking, if it's not on a naturist friendly website or forum then perhaps like minded bars, restaurants or holiday rental websites within VP would be suitable homes.

As you might have noticed, I don't publish my name on the map as I am not interested in recognition.
When my wife and I first visited VP over twenty years ago, we didn't know where was naturist friendly so I eventually produced the map to help other visitors to Vera Playa whilst also promoting businesses within the naturist zone.

Vera Playa is a wonderful family friendly naturist resort and we loved it so much that I wanted to help other visitors.

All that aside, I'm more disappointed at Vera Playa losing the website and forum rather than my map disappearing into oblivion but, if it (the forum) isn't being used, it doesn't warrant the upkeep. Cost aside (and as Alan has said) the work involved cannot be justified by the lack of use in recent years.

Needless to say, I could continue with updates (given the latest information from time to time) with wherever the map ends up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2021 11:39 pm
SunWorshipper
(@tanned)
Eminent Member

I have three suggestions:

• Please could the map be retained on a very simple home page at www.veraplayafriends.com? The page could be almost empty except for the map, with just a few keywords to attract search engines such as "Vera Playa", "naturist zone", "zona naturista", "FKK", "map", "mapa" etc. The site would have no other pages other than the home page containing the map.
  • Please could you zip a final snapshot of the entire forum's pages with full folder structure, and publish the link to the zip file on the simplified home page so that the content is not lost forever?
  • Please give a link on the new home page to the Facebook group.
ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2021 6:39 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

Hi SunWorshipper,

All questions for Alan.

Phil

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2021 11:19 pm
MikeR
(@miker)
Trusted Member

Based on the assumption that this is the last day I will be able to visit this site I would like to express my thanks to all who have made this site possible and who have made so many useful contributions.

Thank you and Goodbye

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2021 9:39 am
John Devon
(@john-devon)
Trusted Member

I ech MikeR's comments, and hope to see you at some time at Cota Zero.  ;

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2021 4:17 pm
RobnDee
(@robertjary)
Trusted Member

Many thanks to all who ran and contributed to this forum over the years. Sad to see it go.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2021 5:36 pm
Phil B-C
(@nelson)
Member Admin

A sad day for me, not because of any personal involvement, purely because I think it's it's a sad day for Vera Playa to loose the VP Friends website and forum.

It seems that website based forums have now had their day and (anti)social media have taken over. Regrettably, when one looks at the VP  Facebook page (this is NOT a dig at the Facebook page) despite being "naturist friendly " .... "naturism" is never mentioned and excessive advertising now leads the field.

All that aside, the lack of use on the Vera Playa Friends forum (especially over the last twelve months) together with the major technical overhaul now required, has made the outcome sadly inevitable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2021 7:03 pm
MikeR
(@miker)
Trusted Member

Having looked to see what has happened to this site I thought I would try logging in and discovered that I can still join the forum. So this is a test message to see if anyone else has continued to look at the site. Also a question to Alan - is there any definite end in sight?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2021 3:01 pm
Alan
 Alan
(@alan)
Member Admin

hello @miker,

Following some offline discussions I decided to put the forum and website online as a historical reference but at the same time allow access to the forum just to see what would happen. Everything has been moved to a different software platform and a temporary host.

This is all very experimental, it could change or cease at anytime. So the answer to your question is a bit grey. It will almost certainly close completely sometime but don't know when. Unless...... 😉 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/05/2021 1:34 pm
MikeR
(@miker)
Trusted Member

Pleased to hear from you Alan. I won't delete VPF from my "check regularly" bookmarks just in case you get a sponsor!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/05/2021 8:37 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: